Thursday 20 October 2011

No (Istan)bul

 


Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.


Well, Lucie has just gone a break up on Agi in the 3rd set so Radwanskas place is not secure just yet.


Although I must say that I am not afan of womens tennis, but AMD was very funny Pete. Andy Murray Disease..lol...would love to hear your thoughts on the trio now that he has moved to no.3. However for people who are federer fans like me: here is an article worth a shot: Roger Federer, Rank No.4, Are his days over? http://bit.ly/nUKaLC


Have a good evening fellows!


There is something about Petra's expression in that picture - in particular the eyebrows - that reminds me of Sveta. Anyone else see the resemblance?


Lucie just fluffed her first MP but an error from Radwanska gives her a second chance. And she takes it on a further error 64 46 64 so it's all down to Marion now and how well she handles the pressure to decide the final spot in the champs race.


I love Marion Bartoli in all her glory!


Thursday Order of Play


ATP: Moscow at 5 AM - Chardy vs Dolgopolov and Muller vs Kohlschreiber scheduled
WTA: Moscow at 5 AM - Vesnina vs Ivanova, Zakopalova vs Cibulkova and Bartoli vs Pervak scheduled
ATP: Stockholm at 6 AM: Chela vs Dimitrov, Nieminen vs Wawrinka and Kamke vs Rieschick scheduled
WTA: Luxembourg at 7 AM -Schoofs vs Marino, Sevastova vs Halep and Hradecka vs Cadantu scheduled
ATP: Moscow at 8:30 AM - Benneteau vs Tursunov
ATP: Moscow at 10:30 AM - Tipsarevic vs Kunitsyn
WTA: Moscow at 10:30 AM - Kuznetsova vs Pironkova scheduled
WTA: Luxembourg at 11:30 AM - Ivanovic vs Keothavong followed by Azarenka vs Brianti
ATP: Stockholm at 12:30 PM - Monfils vs Tomic
ATP: Stockholm at 2:15 PM - Dodig vs Nalbandian


It's a worst possible thing :-( I love both - Aga and Marion - and there is only one place left....

Posted by Aussiemarg,Madame President,Its a Samtastic Day!

Good Morning Everyone,


Just checking over night scores


Off to read Petes post in full


Petra has a great record on indoor hard courts (14-0) so based on that and her performance in Linz I'm going to put her as my favourite for the title.


But this is the WTA and anything can happen so - go Andrea!


Andy Murray Disease - that is funny. As a Fed fan, I'm also not concerned about the rankings. As soon as Fed opted to play DC in Aussie, I knew he wouldn't play Asia, and by extension, lose #3. I couldn't care less whether Fed is #3 or #4. After all he has done, who really cares? Everything he does now is setting himself up for 2012. If things go his way and he does well in slams in 2012, the ranking will come. If he gets in a position where #1 is possible, then I think he'll go for it. If not, I don't really care. He's right up there with Pete on the Total weeks at #1, and he has the consecutive #1 weeks record. That's more than enough for me.


Go Crazy Maid - not that the WTA has any trouble bringing the 'crazy' even without Marion's help. But I fear if she doesn't make the YEC she will spend the rest of the year OD-ing on Pierce Brosnan movies, old Federer matches, and bonbons. (hmmm...if you changed Pierce to George Clooney, that that sounds like me!! ;-))


Isn't Maria's fiancé playing basketball in Turkey now? That could either distract her or be a big boon; either way, a factor worth considering.


Claire,
Agreed making Petra the favorite to win Istanbul but she has Fed Cup the following week so it will be very interesting to see how she paces herself.


good stuff from lucie to beat aga. some 50+ winners i think.
the maid rejoices but still has some work to do herself...


as for istanbul, difficult to dare even a guess before knowing the groups as there are some very lopsided h2hs in the field... stosur for example has prolly more fun playing zvonareva or li than shazza or azarenka...


Tina,
Correct, that Maria's finance is playing basketball there.

Posted by Aube,one terrible reason why I do not like race car driving...sad!

Salut,muttering to myself in the kitchen,yet telling you!


"really Tennis Gods it's not cool that Aggie had to loose when it was a chance to grab her berth into beautiful TURQUIE!...oh well I still think she's going to get in for Marion has a tall task of winning Moskva!"


SVETA for MOSKVA!


I'm actually surprised Blake is doing so well against Del Potro. Can anyone give us a reason why? Is Blake playing really well, or is this the Del Potro we saw post-Miami?


And the draw has a lot to do with it, but I'd probably rate the contenders as Kvitova, Sharapova, Wozniacki, Radwanska/Bartoli, Stosur, Azarenka, Zvonareva, Li.


Kvitova looks to be rounding into form at just the right time again, and I'm sure no one kept statistics of it, but Maria did very well in tournaments in which her husband was present. Perhaps a bit of motivation to play well?

Posted by Aussiemarg,Madame President,Got Roger,Mission Accomplished!

Seeing that this tournament is to be played indoors that favours some players.


Kvitova has a outstanding indoor hard court record and I feel she has the "edge".The only "blip" against her she can be inconsistant at times.This is her first "end of year tournament" though if she can repeat her wonderful mindset at Wimbledon this year she can win the tournament.

Posted by Aussiemarg,Madame President,Got Roger,Mission Accomplished!

Congrats to Lucie.A player I feel that has never shown her "real potential" maybe Tomas has something to do with that?


Only kidding as I feel Bissy may come after me.................


Don't understand why my Italian stream has english-language adverts at off-moments, but I am surprised Blake is up a set over Delpo. JMDP has not had a single break point, though.


Already looking forward to some matches tomorrow.


back to WTA: I love Bartoli, too. But I'm really pulling for Vera to win the YEC.

Posted by Aube,one terrible reason why I do not like race car driving...sad!

Oh and also Pete, I would pray for you that you don't get in trouble for giving an 8 to Azababy and 7 to beautifully talented Caro Scandinavia number one...

Posted by Aussiemarg,Madame President,Got Roger,Mission Accomplished!Posted by Aussiemarg,Madame President,Got Roger,Mission Accomplished!

Master Ace


When are you giving your list of contenders for the WTA end of year tournament pls?


Blake defeats Delpo, 6-4, 6-4, in slightly under 90 minutes.


Looks like James has beat Del Potro: 6-4, 6-4.


Good result from him. He is a former champion in Stockholm, so maybe he can get rekindle that form.

Posted by Aussiemarg,Madame President,Got Roger,Mission Accomplished!

Congrats to James great win over Del Potro


Always have had a "soft spot" for James

Posted by Aube,one terrible reason why I do not like race car driving...sad!

You know what I'm saying Madame President,you've got to pray too,lol!

Posted by Aussiemarg,Madame President,Got Roger,Mission Accomplished!

Aube


Where is SamE I thought she would be in her element in this post.She is always complaining there is too much write up on the men


Aussiemarg,
Good question as I only do a list for the Slams. However, I will try to put the players in order once the last spot is decided.


*takes right fork in the road and repeats*


Kom sa (Kom igen ?) James!

Posted by Aussiemarg,Madame President,Got Roger,Mission Accomplished!

Master Ace


I thought you might wait for the last spot to be decided.

Posted by Aussiemarg,Madame President,Got Roger,Mission Accomplished!

Congratulations to Shuai for a good year as Bali has given her the last wildcard. If Ana wins this week, her wildcard will be open again as she would have qualified from winning Luxembourg.


Hi AM, and a quite belated Happy Anniversary. Been really busy with the dreaded "w" word lately, but making quick checks from time to time.


Good heavens - I was just about to ask for a stream for Blake/The Ent, and it is over already?


Hmmm...not wishing to incur the wrath of Gauloises...or depress her further...all I will say is hmmm.


Can anyone who did see the match, provide a report?


Without the draw, I'd say Kvitova and Azarenka are the favourites for the WTA Championships.

Posted by Aussiemarg,Madame President,Got Roger,Mission Accomplished!

Colette


Thanks.Glad you make the time to "pop in" from time to time.


CL, I saw the last few games. James looked good. (How's that for "meat":)

Posted by Aussiemarg,Madame President,Got Roger,Mission Accomplished!

wilson75


Yes the draw will be interesting.


Azarenka is still a question mark to me.Her body lets her down.I really feel her team has to look at this problem.Victoria play well in tournaments and then some kind of injury lets her down.

Posted by Matt - Allez, Roger! Come on, Serena!

What has to happen in order for Radwanska to qualify for Turkey?

Posted by Roddick fan from Virginia

Good win for James. When I saw he had 17 aces yesterday, I was hopeing it was a good sign for him. Just read where Bogomolov may play Davis Cup for Russia. That would be a great honor for him, if he wants it. Has been very enjoyable watching the Russian-American climbing up the rankings this year.


Matt,
Agnieszka qualifies unless Marion wins Moscow this week.

Posted by Aussiemarg,Madame President,Got Roger,Mission Accomplished!

Another thing if Stosur has to play Maria I will DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Colette- well, it is no 1/4 pounder w/cheese, but I guess it will do. ;-) And I take it JMDP looked less good?


CL, they both looked FINE, but Jame's game looked better.


Btw, my dahlias finally bloomed. Beautiful, but, alas, not yellow. Both plants were mauve-y. And I just picked the last flowers a few days ago in anticipation of a possible frosting.


Goooo Maid!


Oh come now AM, no need for the drama. It's only 9-0 to Maria in the head to head :)

Posted by Aube,one terrible reason why I do not like race car driving...sad!

Madame President,I have a different approach,I want to see Stosur beat Maria and Vera beat Stosur,it's one of my ask in 2012,it takes only one match to turn the tables so I say Oi oi oi Sammie and davaye Vera,there should be a way for them...


Meanwhile, James Blake!,c'est delicieux!


Delpo must not have been feeling it today. James only had 3 aces, I believe, and 61% serving. Surprised that there wasn't a single break point for Juan Martin.


I think Blake's best surface is indoors. Sounds like he was playing well and it was Delpo's first match in a while, so I guess it wasn't a huge surprise, though it is certainly a big upset on paper. We know that all Delpo really cares about at the moment is the DC final, and that is on clay. So, who knows how much he really cared about Stockholm?


Colette- just put in my 'supposed to be yellow/definitely will break my bank' peony. Now all I have to do is wait 8 mos. to see whether it will have any blooms and whether they will be yellow. Mauv-y sounds nice. :-)


If you get a frost, you will be ahead of us....we got close about 3 weeks ago but since then warm sun/warm rain/warm sun/rain...creepy. Lots of plants re-blooming in confusion.

Posted by Aussiemarg,Madame President,Got Roger,Mission Accomplished!

Aube


Well considering Sams horrid h2h with Maria.


Miracles can Happen No?


is this guy seriously trying to compare wozinacki to murray,murray should get a sex change then he/she would be the best "female" player ever,wozinacki has to deal with azarenka,sharapova zvonerava murray has to deal with djokovic,nadal and federer,work it out mr bodo which one is the toughest test.wozinacki is a rubbish player with no attacking style and moonballs to her hearts content,womens tennis is shite to say the least while mens tennis is the most exciting sport in the world right now


please stop comparing murray to wozinacki there is no similarities


@ ciaran
There are similarities: Both Andy Murray and Wozniacki (half of the celebrity couple McNiacki) win the small tournaments but lose at the majors.
Neither are known for their attacking style.


CL, did you plant your dahlia in the ground now? Apparently, zone-wise, we're on the cusp of where you should dig them up for winter. The person who gave me the bulbs doesn't (just mulches over) and she's a dahlia queen, so I'm happy to hear I can follow the lazier route.


We've had a few light a.m. frostings but mostly beautiful mid-70's sunshine during the day (until today).

Posted by Aube,one terrible reason why I do not like race car driving...sad!

Miracles can Happen No?


There you go!,and it will,at some point Sam is going to say "Enough already!"


Colette - uh-hem - PEONY! :-) And yes, you can bare root plant them now. Here, you would have to dig up dahlias, which, being the lazy gardener that I am, is why I have never gone in for dahlias.


In other news, so it looks like the USO after SWEARING it couldn't/wouldn't/no never, has found a some possible 'maybes'


http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=14844&zoneid=4


Sounds like somebody is still gonna get screwed, though.

Posted by Samantha Elin(Kom sa, Caro)

Hi AM, just got out of classes. I enjoyed this write up, but would disagree about Scandinavia's beautiful and talented world's no l. This is the second year in a row she has finished the world's no l and the second she has won more titles than any other player in the WTA so I think she had a great season. I have to wait for the draw to make any prediction. Maria seems to struggles with Vika's game and every player has a player they have problems with. With Maria, it will depend on if her serve is clicking or not. I would say that Caro is the favorite to win it all. When at her best, she can beat any of the players there. The only player she doesn't have a win against are Kim and the Williamses and they're not there so I think the pride of Denmark will take it all.


CL, great minds and all. Though I don't have near the affection for George Clooney. :)

Posted by Samantha Elin(Kom sa, Caro)

Colette, both Kom sa and Kom igen are correct and mean the same. Kom sa is more predominant in Denmark and Kom igen used more in Sweden.


Duh, CL - I've flummoxed my flowers.


A Monday final ... now that would be a Stooge move by Curley.


Hola, Sherlock.


Thanks, SamE! I've always wondered. I though maybe it was gender, ie, Kom sa for Caro ... Kom igen for Robin.


Sasa Vujacic signed for Anadolu Efes this season. He is now in Beograd, to play game with Partizan in Euroleague. He gave a long interview in which he said that Maria will be no.1 soon and is very motivated to win YEC:) He admires Novak for what he has done this year. Also said that wedding will be whenever Masha wants and that she will anounce it. Said he has done his part proposing her:)


If Bartoli makes it through I hope she wins it all. She's such a hard worker and never seems to give up. I still don't think she's ever really reached her potential, however this could be her break through. It seems as though all of the recent grand slam winners, with the exception of Petra, are in their prime time age of 27-29 years of age. So with that being said, Marion Bartoli is 27, so she should be good to go to win it all, but who really knows in women's tennis nowadays, it so in consistent and boring. It only started getting more exciting when Serena came back into the picture. So I am betting on Marion!


Concerning the potential Men's Final being moved permanently to Monday, I wonder if the US Open's schedule could be shifted so that the Final is played on Labor Day (always the first Monday in September, which usually falls in the middle of the USO). Labor Day is at least a holiday, which would be better than having the Final on a workday Monday afternoon, almost certain to produce low ratings. Or, alternatively, maybe the Men's Final could be in primetime (like the Women's Final) on a "regular" (non-holiday) Monday.

Posted by Matt - Allez, Roger! Come on, Serena!

Congrats to James Blake, one of my favourite players to watch. Delpo must try to get some wins in Bec


"now that would be a Stooge move by Curley"


Lol. Well done. And good to see you, Colette. :)


I agree with Sherry though. I like the Labor Day Monday final idea.


Sherlock - that's ok - you are allowed to substitute. :-)


If they DO move the final, I bet there is never a hurricane or tropical storm on the second weak again. Like, pack the umbrella = no rain. Wash car = downpour.


As long as DC is the weekend after the USO final, the Monday mens final is a terrible idea. The USTA and CBS are eager to hold on to Super Saturday but it would be better if the mens SF were played on Friday nite.


And Moe knows what they REALLY need is a roof. ;-)


Hope to be able to watch Tipsarevic and Ana tomorrow but I doubt I will find time. Maybe I sneak out from school to watch Dimitrov-Chela. So many good matches comming up


Oh, yeah, Labor Day. That might work (pun intended).


Zeljana, sneaking out from school is ALWAYS a good option. :)


CL, he he. Moe knows! Like "Bo knows" of years gone by. :)

Posted by Aussiemarg,Madame President,Got Roger,Mission Accomplished!

Regardless of the mens final being shifted to Monday


I am afraid the "rain" is not going to participate


Seeing the weather for the last 4 years has interupted the USO schedule


It seems those "knuckle heads" aka tournament officials are still sticking their "heads" in the sand with a solution


Oh well at least Down Under we have 2 roofs and another one on the way...


Yes, several things you can count on in the USO in recent years, rain, overpriced food, and Roger screwing up matches from a winning position.

Posted by Aussiemarg,Madame President,Got Roger,Mission Accomplished!Posted by Aussiemarg,Madame President,Got Roger,Mission Accomplished!

SamE


I think the draw will most interesting and at this stage I guess we are all guessing in ways.Being a indoor tournament will favour players and I would like to know if the surface is med or fast pace.


"Oh well at least Down Under we have 2 roofs and another one on the way..."


Oh, stop your bragging, AM. :)


We believe in building character over here. These mamby pamby tennis players need some toughening up. The rain delays are good for 'em.

Posted by Aussiemarg,Madame President,Got Roger,Mission Accomplished!

Sherlock


I know we are a "over rated country"


Blah to the building of character you have been listenting to John Newcombe and Co far too much.


He he. Has Newcombe been preaching that storyline for a while?


A bit off topic but if you look at the player lists for the remaining series 500 lists in the atp, Basel has a tremendous line up, arguably more competitive than shanghai. Valencia a showcase of clay courting underachievers on the other hand.

Posted by Aussiemarg,Madame President,Got Roger,Mission Accomplished!

Sherlock


I believe since Adam "was a boy".


Ah! Now I get it! They were trying to build Andy's character when they kept trying to make him play on a leaking court! doh!!


Hello all!

Posted by Aussiemarg,Madame President,Got Roger,Mission Accomplished!

Just to go "off topic"


Read a article from Rafa stating he has no intention of playing soccer when "time permits" according to a previous rumour.

Posted by Aussiemarg,Madame President,Got Roger,Mission Accomplished!

x-fan


Blah the secret is out!


LOL!


AM
Yes, Sherlock let the cat out of the bag!


Seriously though, instead of trying to move the final, they should be looking for options to construct a roof over one of those of courts!

Posted by Aussiemarg,Madame President,Got Roger,Mission Accomplished!

x-fan


I agree and said soo in my previous post.

Posted by Aussiemarg,Madame President,Got Roger,Mission Accomplished!

x-fan


I see your young "super star" is to play Monfils? I thought Monfils was injured? his knee and heard he may have to have surgery.....


Lol, AM. We can't argue with Newc. :)


Hey, X-fan. Yes, it's all about character. :) Ready for the start of the series tonight?


Sherlock,
Yes, I am! I was hoping for a Brewer win in the National League to make it more interesting for me (rooting wise) but I guess this way I have no mixed emotions -Rangers all the way!


AM
What tournament is that?
I must admit I don't pay too much attention to the smaller tourneys so I'm not tuned into anything right now.

Posted by Aussiemarg,Madame President,Got Roger,Mission Accomplished!

AM, thanks. I just scrolled up and saw MA's schedule.
So he's playing tomorrow midday my time and midnight yours? Not an easy opponent for the youngster. I too thought Monfils was injured though.


X-fan, yes, me too. :) My dad was/is a huge Cardinal fan. Musial, Gibson, Brock, on and on. I like that tradition of the Cardinals franchise, but I'm not a Larussa (sp?) fan. Texas is an easy team to like, and I want them to get their first.


Sherlock,
Never been a Cardinal or Ranger fan myself but I have nothing but respect for Texas for reaching two consecutive WS after such a long drought!


Carol,
Thanks for the link. That's good news for the Nadal family.
Hope the rest of the players are taking notice! Happy Nadal may make it pretty difficult for everyone else in 2012 ;-)

Posted by Aube,one terrible reason why I do not like race car driving...sad!

Carol,hola!
se no habla espagnol,traduction please!


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment